As the focus of automakers shifts to producing more fuel-efficient cars, most of them have started extracting as much as power and efficiency they can get from a 4-cylinder engine. 4-bangers have quite a history with sports car makers like Porsche, which produced the legendary Porsche 914. So there is no reason that 4-cylinder powered cars have to be boring!
Recently, Mercedes-Benz made waves by producing the most powerful 4-cylinder engine ever with the 355-hp CLA45 AMG. With that in mind, the team at SpeedList decided to look at some fun 4-cylinder powered vehicles.
- Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo engine making 355-hp.
- Ford Focus ST: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo engine making 252-hp.
- Ford Fiesta ST: 1.6 liter 4-cylinder turbo engine making 197-hp.
- Subaru WRX STI: 2.5 liter 4-cylinder turbo making 268-hp.
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo making 291-hp.
- Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder Boxer engine making 200-hp.
- Hyundai Genesis Coupe: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo engine making 274-hp.
- Mazda MX-5 Miata: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine making 167-hp.
- BMW 228i: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo engine making 240-hp.
- Volkswagen GTI: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo engine making 210-hp.