Today in Face Off Friday we decided to put the Ford Focus ST up against the Volkswagen Golf GTI. In the past, the Mazda Speed3 has been in the mix, but since were are still waiting on the competitor, we thought it would be interesting to see how these two models stack up in its absence.
Ford Focus ST : (Starting Price: $23,635)
- Engine: 2.0-liter turbocharged direct-injection Ecoboost
- Power: 252hp and 270 lb-ft of torque
- Curb Weight: 3,223lbs
- Transmission: 6-speed manual
- Exterior: 18- inch aluminum wheels, optional 18-inch Rado grey alloy with red brake front calipers and summer tires, bright-tipped dual exhaust, piano black grille
- Interior: Sync with MyFord Touch for hands free calling and music, Push-button start with available Intelligent Access to allow you to leave your keys in your pocket, available Active Park Assist and MyFord mobile app
- Performance: Electronic power-assisted steering with enhanced steer compensation, front wheel drive, front and rear disc breaks, Torque Vectoring Control to improve handling around turns, Variable-ratio steering rack to enhance cornering sensitivity and reduce the sensitivity on straight
Volkswagen Golf GTI : (Starting Price: $25,095)
- Engine: 2.0-liter TSI turbocharged
- Power: 200hp and 207 lb-ft of torque
- Curb Weight: 3,113lbs
- Transmission: Manual, available 6-speed DSG automatic with Tiptronic and Sport mode
- Exterior: Body colored, heated and power operated side mirrors, dual exhaust tips, halogen reflector fog lights, 18-inch alloy wheels, heated windshield washer nozzles
- Interior: Cruise control, Bluetooth, auxiliary, USB, Sirius XM Satellite Radio, 8-speaker sound system, heated front seats
- Performance: Power-assisted front vented disc breaks with rear solid disk brakes, Red brake calipers, electromechanical power steering with variable assistance and active return, GTI specific sports suspension, founded on new MQB modular transverse matrix platform.
As a long time fan of the GTI, it is difficult to say that, particularly on paper, the Ford Focus ST has a lot more to offer than the GTI. Not only does the GTI have a higher price tag, but it falls short on technology, as Volkswagens tend to do to focus more on power. The problem here is, despite the slightly higher curb weight, the Focus ST is faster. While the GTI is still a great car and comes with all you need, I think this Face Off goes to the Focus ST in matters of price, extras and performance.